Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) provides a way to use any new Terminal Services features introduced in Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows Server Code Name “Longhorn” from a computer running Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1.
The following are new features found in this Remote Desktop Connection update:
- Network Level Authentication - Network Level Authentication is a new authentication method that finishes user authentication before you establish a full Remote Desktop Connection and the logon screen appears.
- Server authentication - Server authentication verifies that you are connecting to the correct remote computer or server. This security measure helps prevent you from connecting to a different computer or server than you intend. This also prevents you from unintentionally exposing confidential information.
- Resource redirection - The Remote Desktop Connection 6.0 client update helps you redirect Plug and Play devices that support redirection.
- Terminal Services Gateway (TS Gateway) servers - A Terminal Services Gateway (TS Gateway) server is a type of gateway that enables authorized users to connect to remote computers on a corporate network. These authorized users can connect from any computer by using an Internet connection. TS Gateway uses the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) together with the HTTPS protocol to help create a more secure, encrypted connection.
- TS Remote Programs - TS Remote Programs is a feature of Windows Server Terminal Services that lets client computers connect to a remote computer and use programs that are installed on it.
- Monitor spanning - Remote Desktop Connection supports high-resolution displays that can be spanned across multiple monitors. However, the total resolution on all monitors must be under 4,096 x 2,048.
- Visual improvements - Remote Desktop Connection now supports 32-bit color and font smoothing.
You can find the downloads here:
- Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP
- Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows XP x64 Edition
- Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003
- Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Services Client 6.0) for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition
More information can be found in this release's Knowledge Base article (KB925876).
Microsoft, technology, Vista, Longhorn, Remote Desktop Connection, Terminal Services Client