Microsoft release the April 2007 Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista earlier today. This update contains several improvements, and it resolves several issues. This cumulative update is intended for computers that are running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.
Issues that are resolved by this update
The April 2007 Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista resolves the following issues:
- The video may appear to freeze when the movie begins in some DVDs.
- When you rotate a picture during a slide show in Windows Media Center, the wrong photo may be rotated.
- The cover art for recorded TV movies may not appear in the DVD library view.
- When you delete a picture in Windows Media Center, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
The Url contains one or more invalid characters.
- When you try to play a DVD by using Autoplay, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
Tuner not installed
Improvements that are in this update
The update also provides the following improvements:
- Online Media support has been added for Windows Media Center on 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate.
- Video Playlist support has been added for Windows Media Center Extenders.
- Improvements have been made to Online Media caching.
I'm also told that this update includes support for nested playlists on Extenders for both audio and video.
Information for Windows Media Center Extenders
Windows Media Center Extenders, such as the Microsoft Xbox 360, use network ports to communicate over the network to computers that are running Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate. This cumulative update contains updates to Media Center programs that may have been previously configured as "approved" or "allowed" by a third-party firewall. If you use a third-party firewall, you may have to manually update your firewall to let the new versions of these programs access the ports. If you do not perform these firewall updates, you may experience failures when you try to connect the Windows Media Center Extender to the Media Center computer.
This update also includes:
- 929011 Windows Media Center does not correctly configure a combo TV tuner that supports both ATSC and NTSC signals on a Windows Vista-based computer
- 932753 When you resize the Windows Media Center window in Windows Vista, video playback may stop
To obtain the April 2007 Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista, you can download it from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site (listed as an "important update"or from the Windows Download Center.
Here are the direct links to the downloads from the Windows Download Center:
- Cumulative Update for Windows Media Center for Windows Vista (x86 - 32 bit)
- Cumulative Update for Windows Media Center for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems
Microsoft, technology, Vista, Media Center