As a result of a recently released security update for Windows Messenger, those of you using Media Center 2005 may run into an error message similar to the following:
There are two ways that I know of to fix this, and they are as follows:
Method 1 - Disable Messenger functionality in MCE2005 (per user)
- Go to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\IMSettings
- Under the fEnableIM DWORD value, change that value from '1' to '0'
- Alternatively, download and merge the 'fixwmerror-method1 - wmintegrationdisabled.reg' from the zipped registry key files to make the above mentioned change. To re-enable Messenger integration, merge the 'fixwmerror-method1 - wmintegrationenabled.reg' file instead.
- Note that this fix is 'per-user' so you have to apply it for every user that is affected.
Method 2 - Exempt the Media Center 2005 from the security update (per-machine)
- Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\
- Create a new key called 'ehshell.exe' if it doesn't already exist.
- Create a new DWORD value called 'AllowMessengerExecHandleFailure' and assign it a value of '1'
- Alternatively, download and merge the following zipped registry key file to make the above mentioned change.
- Note that this fix is a global fix, so it affects all users on your computer system.
I believe the second fix is more comprenhensive, so that's the fix I'd recommend as you can continue to use Windows Messenger post-security updates. I've heard reports that the new update removes the UI choice as to whether or not to enable Messenger functionality, so if you want to turn on/off Messenger functionality in Media Center, you can also use that method.
I had the 5.1 version of Windows Messenger installed before the security update was installed, and I still have the Messenger UI choice within Media Center. It seems (though I'll need others to confirm) that those using the older 4.7 variants of Windows Messenger have lost the UI choice within Media Center.
I'd be interested to know if anyone lost the UI to enable/disable Messenger functionality within Media Center would regain it upon installing the latest version of Windows Messenger (5.1.0715).
To obtain the latest version of Windows Messenger, see the following kb article, How to obtain the latest version of Windows Messenger 5.1 (KB899283).