Tennis Canada announced that the Rexall Centre, home of Rogers Cup Toronto, will be the host site for the upcoming Davis Cup by BNP Paribas Americas Zone Group I tie between Canada and Ecuador. The event will take place from March 6-8, 2009 and will mark the eighth time in Davis Cup history that Canada has played in the provincial capital, but only the third occasion since 1958.
Matches will be played on hard courts in the Centre of Excellence, the indoor facility at the world-class stadium and national training centre. The only other Davis Cup tie contested at Rexall Centre was outdoors in 2005 when Canada played host to Belarus, losing a tough World Group tie that was decided in the fifth rubber.
The Miele Canadian Davis Cup team members facing Ecuador will be selected by Tennis Canada at a later date. The 2008 team consisted of multiple Canadian Davis Cup record holder, Wimbledon and Masters Cup champion and world No. 1 doubles team member Daniel Nestor (Toronto); Canada’s top male singles player Frank Dancevic (Niagara Falls, Ontario); Davis Cup veteran Frederic Niemeyer (Sherbrooke, Quebec) along with rising star Peter Polansky (Thornhill, Ontario).
Historically, Canada has a 1-4 overall record against Ecuador. The two teams last faced each other in April 1998 on outdoor clay courts in Guayaquil, Ecuador. A win for Canada would pit them against Peru on the road in May for a second round tie and a chance to advance to a World Group playoff. Tickets are on sale now to the public. Call the Davis Cup hotline at 416-665-9777 ext. 4755 or 1-877-2TENNIS (1-877-283-6647). The event will also be Web cast live in both official languages on tenniscanada.com.
More information available here:
- Tennis Canada Selects Toronto for Davis Cup Play - Tennis Canada
- Rexall Centre to host Davis Cup tie - Globe and Mail
- Rexall Centre to host Canada-Ecuador Davis Cup tie - Canoe
- Toronto's Rexall Centre to host Davis Cup Tie with Ecuador - TSN
- Toronto to host Davis Cup match - Sportsnet
- Toronto's Rexall Centre will be host site for Canada-Ecuador Davis Cup tie - Canadian Press
- Tennis Canada Selects Toronto for Davis Cup Play - sirc
Hope to see some of you there!